1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -->

Monday, 17 October 2016

YARN The Movie

I'd seen this film 'YARN' across social media for the last couple of months, and was hankering to see it as soon as it was out. It was first officially screened in the UK Sunday 11th October and was thrilled to hear that Joeli of Joeli Creates had kindly organised a screening in Manchester! Before I go into more detail about the film I would like to briefly pause and tell you a bit more about the venue the film was shown at, as it is definitely a place I will be frequenting much more in the future.

Monday, 3 October 2016

Hello creativity

Alien hat by SallyStrawberry

Over the last few weeks I've felt my creativity coming back. Slowly but surely and I have to say its been great. My Nanny has next door neighbours with two young children, a 4 and a 2 year old, with Autumn birthdays and I usually try and crochet something for them. The brief this year, winter hats! 

Monday, 19 September 2016


Since Trailwalker I really lost my creative inspiration. I still felt the need to create but just couldn't think of any new ideas. I didn't appreciate initially how much the walk took out of me both physically and mentally. I spent a lot of time with my laptop propped up on the bed in front of me adding to the rounds on my sock head hat (til I went a bit wrong on the decreases). I then had a Facebook notification from a crochet friend who said she had added me to a Facebook group, Sixty Million Trebles. You may have seen the hashtag #sixtymilliontrebles flying around. This project aims to create crochet and knit blankets for refugees in Syria to a total of sixty millions trebles to represent the current number of refugees globally at the end of 2015.

Sunday, 7 August 2016

Something new

I've been working on something new and I'm loving it. I was a bit scared to release it to the world as I was afraid of getting my hopes and spirits dashed if people hated it. Alas, it was the complete opposite and it got a wonderful reception on Instagram. Thank you all for being so kind. 

It is by no means perfect, but that's the charm of handmade no?

I'm working on another hoop which I will be sharing with you soon! I hope you like it. I'm really enjoying the whole process, slowly stitching away. I'm taking my time to get as much out of the creative process as possible. I'm trying not to rush, to focus on the work at hand and not on the finished product. For someone who is usually manically crocheting Christmas orders this time of year it is a sweet, sweet relief to be able to do this. This is what crafting is all about. 

More soon :-)

Sunday, 31 July 2016

Trailwalker 2016

A week has now passed, and its only now that I feel that I have recovered sufficiently to put it to words the events of last weekend. Last weekend I took part in Trailwalker, organised by Oxfam. This is an endurance event originally devised as a training exercise for the Gurkha Army. This amazing event involves walking 100km (just over 62 miles) across the South Downs in team of four. But here it gets hard, you have to complete the walk in under 30 hours! 

Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Staying creative when RSI strikes

This post is for those of us who suffer from repetitive strain injury from crochet or knitting. I wrote about my experiences back in 2014 and an update on Monday. The Crochet Project also wrote a fantastic post about the same subject yesterday and I definitely recommend you give it a read, regardless of whether you are having any problems. 

With this post I want to show how you can have a creative life outside of crochet when pain strikes, and some of the things I like to do to keep me on the straight and narrow when crochet went out of the window. 

Monday, 18 July 2016

RSI and me- an update

Cherry Pi by Joanne Scrace for The Crochet Project crocheted by SallyStrawberry

Whilst finishing this lace weight shawl for a deadline (it was for a birthday present) my arm was aching, literally aching from wrist to shoulder, for a 6mm hook and some chunky yarn.

As longer term readers will know I suffered terribly from RSI for a long while when I upped my crochet game. It got to the point where even pouring myself a cuppa or chopping vegetables for dinner was agonisingly painful. I wrote a collaborative post with Not So Granny and Lazy Daisy Jones on our experiences of crochet-induced Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). This post is my most popular post on this blog so obviously this is a massive concern and prevalent problem amongst the crochet and knitting community.